Writing Workshops in Greece: Thessaloniki & Thasos
Our website is undergoing an upgrade! We apologize if there any bumps along the way.
Dates: June 11 through July 9, 2018
Writing Workshops in Greece will host a seventh year of workshops in Thessaloniki and the island of Thasos. Workshops include poetry with Aimee Nezhukumatathil; travel & food writing with Christopher Bakken; and fiction/nonfiction with Natalie Bakopoulos. Carolyn Forché will give several afternoon craft talks and will offer private manuscript consultations. Once again, Joanna Eleftheriou will offer afternoon sessions exploring Greek language, music, and culture. We offer several options for workshop participation, with standard durations of either two weeks or one month (customizable options are available).
- June 11: Arrive in Thessaloniki; organizational meeting
- June 12: Walking tours of central Thessaloniki, Jewish Museum, Byzantine Museum, Welcome Dinner in Thessaloniki
- June 13: Travel by bus to Keramoti and by boat to Thasos; Welcome dinner in Thasos
- June 15-July 6: Monday-Thursday schedule: Workshop 10am-1pm, Greek language and culture class, 6-8pm; 8pm Readings by faculty and visiting writers. Friday-Sunday schedule: Free days
- June 26: Two-week participants return to Thessaloniki
- June 27: Two-week participants End of Program
- July 7: Farewell dinner in Thasos
- July 8: Travel by boat to Keramoti, and by bus to Thessaloniki
- July 9: End of Program; earliest departure